New Blog Post

My piano teacher suggested this week that I more or less randomly play chord tones in Cmaj7 with my left hand and other more or less random chord tones with my right hand as an exercise.

Being a good teacher, he did not tell me why to do this - I'll find out next week I suppose. I decided it was to help me learn the chord better - and to encourage me to use more chord tones and fewer passing notes in my improvisation.

I also went one step further, and did this a while in Cmaj7, and then switched to the other chords in a piece I was was working on. I can see that this is a better way to "learn" the notes in the chords, than just playing the chords, or even inversions of the chords. Playing the chord tones, out of sequence, brings them home better.

In a coincidence, (I think), the weekly email I get from his recorded, on-line lessons, suggested much the same thing in this video from his free you-tube lessons:


which is also about using more chord tone and fewer scale and other tones in improvised melodies.

Take a look:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An early improv lesson